Day 947




Did not get very far the last few days, I don’t walk to get any where fast I just walk to move forward. I do have a plan though not a very good one I guess, but it has served me well so far. I walk the south in the winter and the north in the summer. I started out on I-20 going west, which broke me in very quickly. It was just after Christmas when I decided to do this; such a lonely time. It never has been my favorite part of the year any way, except maybe when I had someone to share it with. You will find I refuse to write or talk about family and our lives before; I keep all that information in a special place in my hart. At first the long miles through Texas and days of never seeing anyone or any thing not to mention the cold nights (even southern winters can be cruel), well let me say it was the test of a life time. But it all has been a test, this life I have lead since the fall.

I am in the Bad Lands of South Dakota now; on I-90 somewhere between Rapid City and Sioux Falls. I side track off 90 as I came into Rapid City last week to see Mount Rushmore only 20 to 30 mile one way. It seems to be holding up well unattended, just like I remember it. The Black Hills is nice and cool this time of year but I needed to push on and the highway is best for that. The weather is mild and the days long. I stay to the highway because even though the exits are far apart I have a better chance of finding food at the old gas stations and convenience stores off the exits. There is not much food to hunt for here and my rifle is not design for the long distance shooting required, more suited for the pine thickets of South Georgia (remember those days) than this part of the country. So I will get by on my cans for now, if they were just not so heavy. Funny what you learn to survive on. A land of plenty turned into a land of not much left.

It has been oh maybe 30 to 40 days since I have seen another person. And I don’t like seeing people any way, you never know what they are thinking and I have always made a bad first impression myself. That is why I walk around the cities if I can. Too many stuck to the bigger cities and chose to live off each other, just could not abandon the old system of greed. Looks like this country is headed back to the way it was before the white man. You think about that out on the plains, you wonder what it was like when the Indians hunted the buffalo and lived off the land. Nature has a way of purging the land of any animal that gets to be too much for the land they live on, makes you wonder if man is headed for extinction since we have abused our land so much. Of coarse my thoughts is still out on the subject of whether it was nature, man or God that caused it all. From what I read in my bible, what has happen is not like the Revelation, as I understood it. But that part of the Bible has always been one for much debate. Who knows what John saw and from what point of view. But what has happen has been the end for human kind as we use to know it, and it has opened eyes and that in its self has been a revelation to many. People always run to God during disasters. I’m thankful He has been there all along for me, or I could not have gotten this far.

I’ll be pushing on towards Milwaukee; I will stand on the shores of Lake Michigan again before I turn south; maybe if I’m lucky I could find a boat with enough fuel to take a ride out on the lake. Maybe by pass Chicago that way…….yeah right, always the dreamer. Going straight into Chicago did not turn out so well last time, lesson learned. Now that I’m writing again I hope I can find some more paper and a few pens. I hate reading over my writings, I never could spell, but who else will see it any way…..