Day 1039

If there could be paradise on earth, I would suppose this place would come close. This little community runs pretty well and has a lot to offer. The people do share what they have with each other. If one has a trade that is of benefit to another he will apply his trade and receive for his or her payment, something that the other person is good at. The Barter system, as such. The credit system Ralph first told me about only applies if some on does a big job for another and that person trade does not equal out in payment. So that person is in dept to the other until he (or she) uses that person’s trade again in the future, relieving the dept owed.

Banker (or Ralph) is a lot mellower when you get to know him. He was a day trader on Wall Street and was still pretty young when the implosion started. After the banks reorganized he went in to that sector and began his climb upward as the banks were falling around him. So his back ground in the financial system gave him the experience to apply the barter system and make it fare for all. He say’s he likes seeing people work to make others happy instead of working for a quick buck (we see eye to eye on the money greed system as being on of the big evils in our previous world). When you barter with someone you better give him you best or he may not do as good a job for you, kind of a self inflicted quality control.

These people have treated me good and they treat Hope like she is a princess. She is the queen of the ball, because there are no other children here (she may get spoiled, but I can think of no one that deserves it more). Most of these people just wandered here and chose to stay. Banker had a vacation house here so when he lost his family back in New York he made his way here, and the others just gathered over time. He said he had made his fortune after most of the banks imploded during the teen years (2013-2019), like most he used the water fall of bail out money to line his pockets, he confessed it was one sin that still haunts him to this day. After losing his wife, (who was a fine Christian woman as he put it) he came here and began his search for the Lord. In his quest he found his propose, and that was providing shelter for any who happen by here. He likes to think his idea for this community is much like the first church after Pentecost, where each individual had all things in common (or share and share alike). And I have found nothing so far to dispute that point. Since I am the elder, they require no work from me, and give to me as my needs dictate, but I still help out in the fields and repair furniture as needed. If man could have contained his greed and lust, we could have been living this way all along. But we could never have enough, there was always the need for more that haunted us and eventually kills us by the millions.

If I can find any fault, it is the taking in any one with out suspicions. I have learned to be cautious by not trusting people and have them prove themselves to me. But here they take in anyone regardless. Example; they just a few days ago took in this woman and her teenage son who wandered here from the streets of St Louis. It was clear to me they are not well, but I was not sure what it was. I told Ralph not to let them come in contact with others and to quarantine them off until we were sure they were of no threat. But he would have none of it. Now people come and go from their house taking care of them, but the boy seems worst. It looks like nothing I have seen before.

I think a lot about Hope and her happiness; she should be around other children her own age. I still think the Amish would be her best bet for that, they have even kept a school system up and are the only ones I know of that are teaching future generations. So I am thinking about wintering here and try for Amish country next spring. I could use the rest and Hope should not have to walk her little life away.

Go to Day 1046