Day 1033

This is the first time since the search for Hope that I have been able to write about all that happened. I have seen more than my share of death, it effects me differently every time, some times your just to close to the situation to be able to write about it. But I will try to put these events down. Maybe it will help me to forget or at least move on. I now maybe have a small understanding of what soldiers went through after they come back from war, witnessing much death is not good for the human soul. You either hold it deep with in and act as if nothing happened or become cold and bitter. I have chosen to write about it to you, my past self. Since you will never read it, I can rest assured I’m not burdening you with more that you can handle.

We left the settlement and headed east on bicycles, it was Banker and I that took this route as others went in different direction. There were eight search parties in all, two to each. One gun was issued to each party, since we knew they had my gun, no one wanted to be unarmed. Banker was carrying a 300 weatherby magnum, it was made for very long distance shooting, but it was all that was left and he said he like the gun. Some search parties went in directions they had seen the couple go before when they wanted to be alone. I was hoping my hunch was right and they went east on I-64. We got back to the camp and look around in more detail to see if we saw any signs of which way they might have headed. There were none. Banker saw how distress I was and suggested we ride on in the same direction, just to see if we saw any thing (or maybe he was just trying to keep me busy). We rode on for what seem like days, but it was only an hour and a half at the most. Just as we had decided to turn around I saw something in the brush, it was Hope’s hat. I picked it up and stuffed it in the basket on the back of the bike and we rode on, this time a little faster. I began to see signs of something being dragged on the side of the road, like someone had pick up a stick and was dragging the point in the dirt; I think it was Hope, trying to leave bread crumbs. She may not be able to speak, but she is not dumb, she is a smart one, how else would she have survived in a house all alone for a week with her dead mother.

The trail got heaver and more frequent. Some times it was part of a torn dress, other times it was a turned over rock. We then found a place where they had stayed the night. So they could not be far now, since we are riding and they are walking. We knew we could be up on them at any moment. We came to an exit off the highway and I decided to go up and take a look in the abandon convenience store of the highway exit. As I got to the door it was ajar, so I pulled out my pistol and ease in the door. I heard some scurrying sounds so I turned to look down the isle; then I heard someone behind me. I turn around to come face to face with my own rifle. Drop it was all I heard, so I let the pistol slip from my hand. “You’re a hard headed old bastard aren’t ya” I heard the woman say. She was standing behind the man with the rifle, holding on to Hope. “I told you, you should have but a bullet in him” she said again. The man responded; (but never took his bead off of me) I said I would help you, I did not say I would kill anyone. It was then I got the following idea, I said; Son have you fired that rifle? No, but I know how, so stay put! Do you now, I continued; well if you had fired it you would have realized it will not shoot? How stupid do you think I am old man, why would you have a rifle that does not shoot! I sure you very bright (I said as I walked towards him), bright enough to know that I would not leave a gun lying around children with out it being safe. What are you talking about and stop where your at. But I kept creeping forward, I saw with my peripheral vision, that Banker was just out side the front store glass window and already had his gun train on the man, moving forward was a risky move but it kept his attention on me. I was now almost close enough were all I had to do was lean forward to rest my head on the end of the barrel. I spoke again; that’s right I remove the firing pin every night, its right here in my pocket, so you see the only working gun around here is the one that is pointed at you right now. When I said that it caused something I did not count on, the woman pull hope closer and pulled out a knife and rested it at Hopes throat.

I had done it, I made it worst, now Hope was in more danger and it was all because of my stupidly. Banker whirled the gun around and pointed it at the woman and yelled, Janice you don’t want to hurt that child, I will shoot. She then said; I know better Banker Ralph, you don’t have the guts. The man had not realized what the woman had done and tried to turn to look, that is when it all slowed down. Once his eyes were off me, I reached up to grab the gun, when I did he pulled the trigger and the muzzle blast hit my left ear full force, that last thing I heard was the bullet spining past my head. This startled Banker and he shot towards the woman and Hope. Both hit the floor. While the hot barrel of the rifle was still in my hand I took the butt of the rifle and jam it in the man’s face; he hit the ground as well. I then ran towards Hope, she was lying so still, I prayed that God would not ask this of me again, I did not know if I could bare any more death. I pulled the woman off to the side to get her off of Hope. She was dead shot in the chest full force with a gun not meant to be used at this close range. I picked Hope up she was covered in blood, but she looked up at me as if to say, I knew you would come. I took her out side and wiped off the blood as much as I could while she kept her arms around my neck.

We are now back at the settlement, Banker as his people have taken real good care of us. The hearing in my left ear is gone, but I don’t need it any way I have heard enough for one life time. Hope and I communicate just fine and if any one else has something to say to me they just have to talk to my right side. Banker has been very distraught over killing the Woman, he had no intentions of firing, it just happened. I have tried to console him, as have the people of this fine community. But it will take time; he has been on his knees a lot asking for forgiveness. I know God has forgiven him, he has just got to believe he is forgiven, that is the hard part for so many. The young man ran off, we have not seen him since. Come to find out, the woman had lost her daughter about ten years ago during the fall, Hope reminded her of her little one that had been tagged at birth and died at the age of six. The mind of a mother that lost her child to a decision she made, must have been a tormented one, I guess seeing a child again pushed her over the edge.

I have thought about staying here with these people that helped me out when I needed it. Good people are hard to find any more, especially ones that will go out of their way to help a stranger. I need a few more days rest, to get my balance back, seems loosing your hearing affects your balance more than you would think. So I will ponder over the notion about settling down here, for Hope’s sake. This may be the end of my walking; it may just be the end.


Go to Day 1039