Day 998

I have been walking down I-90, 94. The two highways run together all the way in to Madison Wisconsin the State capitol. The days have been some what mild; I feel the wind out of the east. It maybe blowing in off the great lakes. I need to decided if I want to walk on into Milwaukee on I-94 or keep going south on I-90. I would like to see Lake Michigan again, but I don’t know if I have time. I know that sounds stupid, time is all I do have. But I can’t tell what time of year it is. It maybe late summer, but how late? I just don’t want to get caught in the cold north. I still got eight toes left I don’t want to lose any more to frostbite.

I am back now into the green parts of the country and off the prairie, I have trees all around once again. I cut through the woods to get a better look at the town. Madison is a very nice city, with a lake all around it. There are some beautiful lakes in this part of the country. I am on the other side of Lake Monona looking towards the city. I am going to camp here tonight. I don’t know if I want to risk going into the city or not. I need to look for more supplies, but I just don’t know….I have a funny feeling about walking over there.

Clouds are rolling in from the west and I may be in for a storm, so I better make sure the holes are patch in the tent before I go to sleep or I may wake up wet. I am beginning to feel like my old self again, I guess I’m over what ever I had. I got out my string and hook and dug up some worms under a log in the woods. I caught a few fish out of the lake and they’re sizzling on the fire as I write this. I can see an old useless sign by the lake, it stands there for no reason, it means nothing any more.

It is peaceful right now as I watch the two weather fronts get closer in the sky above me. They will collide and the rain will fall. Everything feels new after a rain, if only the rain could wash away the past. I have seen no activity to indicate anyone is in the city across the lake, but more that likely people are there, trying to live, trying like me to survive.

I feel the first drops of rain, goose bumps rise on my skin as the cool rain kisses my arm. It refreshes me and I feel young; if only for a moment. The fish are done, I will eat tonight and I will live to see another dawn.

Go To Day 1002